Saturday, September 27, 2008

Dead Battery = Shala Is Not An Idiot!

So, I get a phone call from Caleb yesterday saying that he couldn't get the Jeep to start, it seemed like the battery was dead. I told him to jump the battery and get home so we could try to figure out what was going on. He took my car with the battery from the Jeep down to AutoZone, to test it to see if it was the battery or the alternator, because everyone was trying to tell him it was the alternator. Other than the battery dying, the car didn't have any signs of a dead alternator. (I've been the driver of two different vehicles when the alternator has gone out.) The battery was totally fried needless to say, and the guy at AutoZone taught Caleb a way to test at home with a new battery to see if the alternator was dead. Caleb did the test, and the alternator wasn't the problem.
Then we went to our weekly "trucker coffee" where we go hang with Caleb's trucker friends, and get a soda or a hot chocolate while they drink their coffee. All the guys there like to think they know everything about cars. They were all trying to tell him his alternator was still bad. I knew that it wasn't, but none of these men wanted to trust my knowledge or listen to me. So, just to prove to them that I knew what I was talking about, Caleb took the alternator into AutoZone and had them test it, and it was perfectly fine.
The lesson here is, just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to cars. I'll admit that I don't know a lot about them, but what I do know, I know for pretty darn sure!

4 comments:

Steffy said...

I hate car problems. Nice job! It was good to see you the other day. I'm glad that know we can keep up with each other.

Lisa said...

Hey Shala,

Way to go!

Titel Family said...

You don't let them crazy truckers get you down! You know what you are talking about!! Good for you.

Rendi said...

You know, girls are not full of crap when it comes to mechanics. I have had my share of clunkers and I learned a lot about engines- including spark plugs, buss fuses, and the radiator. Of course, now a days I just get new ones that are under warranty so I don't have to put my knowledge to any use!!!